Thursday, 4 December 2014

Madrid

It's been ages since I've blogged, or at least it seems that way!

I've just come back from a long weekend in Madrid with my friend so thought I'd do a little travel blog to share :)


Madrid is a really interesting City, there's lots to see and do. We were there for 3 days and we managed to fill the time easily, in fact there was lots we hoped to do that we simply didn't get around to.


We travelled from Barcelona to Madrid by sleeper train! This was our first time doing this and although it was an experience, if you love your sleep I'm not sure I'd recommend it! We slept in little cabins containing 6 bunks, you're in very close proximity to your neighbours.




Having said that, I'm really glad we did it. It was quite exciting and made me feel like I was in an old movie! 


Our hotel was amazing (I'll add at the bottom as usual) it was really central, and super luxurious with lots of lovely details and character. Plus we were given free snacks of wraps, sandwiches, salmon, pasta salad, crisps etc to help ourselves to all day, which saved us loads of money and was pure heaven to a grazer like me! 





We visited Buen Retiro Park, which I found really interesting. There's lots to see there, including the Monument to Alfonso XII with a pretty boating lake (a lovely way to spend a sunny Sunday), the Crystal Palace, the Rosaleda del Retiro (rose garden) and the Fountain of the Fallen Angel, which I found particularly interesting as its the only known statue to exist of Lucifer in the world.





We found an awesome bar called 'The Passenger' which is a 1920's themed bar styled like an old train carriage. It even has moving pictures next to the 'cabins' to give the effect of travelling! We had some cocktails there which were delicious, I had an Aviation and a French Martini.




A visit to the royal palace is well worth it. It costs $10 but it's truly stunning inside, each room is decorated differently. I would also recommend a trip on the cable car - it's advertised as a kids attraction but you get unparalleled views of the entire City, I loved it.






A few other things we did was eat churros at this place - San Gines which is world famous and has been open since 1894; and have tapas at El Tigre (we literally walked through the door, ordered 2 mojitos, and were presented with 2 MASSIVE plates of free tapas!) Ours included patatas bravas, chicken wings and ham croquettes. Well recommended!




Finally, on our last morning we visited El Ratro which is a huge open air flea market selling literally everything you can imagine. We bought some open sandwiches and browsed all the stalls of furniture, electricals, crafts and jewellry.



We travelled back by sleeper train again and since then I've been catching up on some well needed sleep! But I loved Madrid, and would definitely go back. 








We flew - Easyjet
We stayed - Catalonia Las Cortes
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I am so jealous :O I love Madrid, your photos are incredible, those churros look to freaking die for! Glad you had a good time, I am a new follower :)

    DiscoverMe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miriam! Much appreciate, had an awesome time! And yes, the churros WERE to die for! :) thanks for the follow, I look forward to reading your next post!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig