Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Positive Happiness



A bit of a different blog for me for a change, but lately I've been giving a lot of thought to personal happiness and what it means to individual people.

I think it's really easy to feel bogged down and overwhelmed by life, especially now we all live such hectic lives. Personally, I don't cope well with stress, I find it quite easy to get overwhelmed with work, relationships, lifestyle etc.



I've been thinking for a while of ways to try and reduce my personal stress, and what I've found has helped, is finding small things I can change, rather than trying to tackle everything at once. 


One of the first things I've tried to do is ration my phone use. I spend so much time staring at my screen it's unreal! So now when I get a text, I leave it for at least 5 minutes before rushing to reply, to give myself time to finish what I was doing before moving on to the next thing. 


Another awful habit I've developed is playing games on my phone. Now there's nothing whatsoever wrong with playing a game for a bit of escapism, we all need something to occupy ourselves with when we're waiting in a doctors waiting room, or passing the time. But I've started playing games on my phone purely out of habit, which is something I never used to do or even think of doing! So as silly as it sounds, I've deleted most of the games from my phone and I feel so much better already, especially as some games are quite high maintenance, which is ridiculous in itself! For example, they send you notifications urging you to log back on and continue with your game, and they can almost make you feel guilty!  One I saw was "come back and tend to your animals, or else they'll starve" etc. I mean come on! I haven't got the time in my life to feel emotionally blackmailed by a game! So I've just kept one now, as it's handy for when I'm waiting somewhere or trying to look busy ;)


I noticed on another blog recently that an app called The Gratitude Journal was mentioned - I find that a very worthwhile app, and I use it every day to jot down things I'm happy about - or grateful for - and once I started I really did realise how lucky I am. It forces you to focus on the good rather than the negatives.
I've read a quote somewhere before that basically says 'take care of the little things as you'll soon realise they were the big things' - and it's so true.


I've also started trying to go for a short walk on my lunch break once or twice a week. Having a change of scenery, some gentle exercise and some peace and quiet away from everything works wonders. I've even stopped taking my phone, so it's like a breather for me for 15 minutes. 



Re-starting this blog is also something I enjoy, I do it for me, because I love doing it and reading what others are doing, and it's a bit of time in a day to have some 'me' time. 

I think I'll try some further steps soon, such as trying to get more regular exercise, and cutting back on my social media use, but I'm taking small steps. I love Facebook as much as the next person, I love posting photos and seeing what my friends are posting, but I really do feel it can have an adverse effect too, it's so easy to start comparing yourself to other people, and feeling inadequate or that your life isn't as exciting as theirs. It's also easy to obsess over who people are friends with, or how many likes they get, and when you break it down, does it even matter? 


Some helpful advice I was given a few years ago over an event that seemed catastrophic at the time but which now I can barely remember (says it all) was "think about this a year from now - will it matter? Or will it be a grain of sand?" And it's SO true! Half the stuff I've agonised over has come to nothing, or blown over really quickly and I've wondered what all the fuss was about.

So slowly but surely I'm getting there, the bigger steps can form part of my New Years resolutions, but for now I'm enjoying changing some little things and noticing big benefits.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. This is such a lovely post. I always try to get out on my lunch break as well to clear my mind :) x

    www.hello-cat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I'm glad you liked it, I was hoping I didn't ramble on too much! :)
      Definitely - it's nice to get out isn't it, clearing my head and getting some fresh air, and keeping my eyes away from my phone for 5 minutes has definitely helped!

      Lucy x

      yellowicing.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig