Thursday, 1 January 2015

2015: Setting Manageable Goals

Firstly - Happy New Year! I hope everyone had an amazing night whatever it may have consisted of.


I'm really not a big resolution maker, mostly because I'm not a big resolution keeper! So this year I've decided to try and keep things simple and rather than give myself a list of criteria to adhere to, (which will only add more pressure to my everyday life than there already is) I decided to instead imagine how I'd like to be feeling this time next year, and where I'd like to be.

Fitness - now this is a horrible cliche and one I vowed I would never make, but this year I've decided to try and keep fitter. I'm not a complete couch potato, but not far off. I have good intentions but then I get home from work and go into wind down mode, and then that's me for the rest of the evening and I feel totally un-productive. So I've downloaded an app called 'Couch-to-5K' from the App Store which claims to help you work out in small manageable chunks over a set period of time. This sounds ideal to me as I can't think of much worse than running for miles outside in this cold, rainy weather when I could be on the sofa in my onesie. My end goal is to be able to complete a 5K run by March (9 week programme) as that would feel like I'd properly challenged myself for once, rather than spending yet another year in my (admittedly comfy) bubble.



^^ The above photo is now my phone wallpaper and is serving as my motivation!

Finances - I'm terrible with money. I rarely make big extravagant purchases (well apart from holidays) but I fritter away small amounts on a weekly, if not daily, basis. Which really starts to mount up! So I'm going to try and keep a lid on some of my spending this year, while still allowing myself some treats, because frankly life would be boring if we never treated ourselves. Ben and I are hoping to move in together so I guess I need to learn to budget properly.

Putting Myself First - now that sounds selfish, but it really isn't supposed to. One of my worst faults is putting absolutely every man and his dog first, at the detriment of my own needs usually. So I've decided to make a stand, and learn how to say NO - even though it seems scary! I love my friends dearly but they are like a whirlwind of drama and energy all the time, and trying to juggle that with a full time stressful job, hold down a relationship, see my family plenty AND have a hectic social life is getting too much and I'm starting to burn out. I pack my schedule full so I have next to no time to myself as I hate to let people down, but no more! I'm going to start giving myself plenty of time to wind down and regroup, get more sleep and look after myself better, and go from there. 

This will definitely be the most challenging of the 3 goals for me, but I'm positive I can take a step in the right direction when it comes to making my life a little easier, and my purse a little fuller. 

What goals/resolutions do you have lined up? 

SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing these with us. Good luck with the "Couch to 5K' challenge. I will be doing more fitness posts on my blog (still a looooonnng way to go for me) in the hopes to not only motivate me to do better, but to also hopefully inspire others. Putting yourself first does not make you selfish. I am like you in the sense that I put everyone first, and it is incredibly straining after a while. These are very good and clear goals, I wish you all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miriam. When you're so used to putting others first it's hard to get out of the mindset of thinking you're selfish when you don't. Good luck with your goals too - I think fitness is a big "maybe" for me!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. I have always wanted to try the Couch to 5k but um I am lazy, so probably that. These are good goals, I often put others first too, so as to please everyone but that's not always the best way.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm incredibly lazy so hopefully I can actually manage this! Yeah it's definitely not always the best way to be.

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Happy new year! Xx loved this post and am looking forward to reading your next post to :D Check out my new blog post! I'm in need of some followers, thank you! X http://xbeyoutifulx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that quote image! It's so true :)
    Good luck with putting yourself first! You should be as selfish as you like when it comes to your own happiness xx

    Laura | elelibee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow late reply, I don't get notifications sorry, so didn't see your comment! The image is motivating me for sure! I'm trying to start 2015 by being a little selfish!

      Delete
  5. Love this post! I'm exactly the same as you when it comes to fitness. I hate exercise but know it's for my own good.. :) x

    www.hello-cat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so boring isn't it! That's why it's hard to get motivated I think. But I know it'll be for my own good too!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig