Friday, 13 March 2015

Mother's Day - A Mother's Advice.

As its Mother's Day this Sunday, I started thinking about how much of influence my Mum has been throughout my whole life. She really is my best friend - we go for lunch every week, go on holiday together every year, and she's the only person who's opinion I trust when I'm shopping.


So due to the fact that whatever she's been doing all these years has managed to make her look 20 years younger than she actually is (she often gets mistaken for my sister) I asked her to impart some motherly knowledge and wisdom for my blog, and these are her 10 top tips:

1. Think Young.
My Mum has always had the attitude that age is just a number. She's never let her age define her, or stop her doing what she wants. She says "you can be an old 45 year or a young 65 year old, it's all about the attitude and outlook."

2. Dress to Suit Yourself.
Know what suits you. As long as it's not obviously too 'young' - go for it. She says "no one wants a mutton dressed as lamb mum, but at the same time you don't have to hide away in long frumpy jumpers if you don't want to".

3. Do Things for Yourself.
My mum has always looked after herself, and by that I don't mean she's always had money to burn having loads of treatments. She says for her, it's important to have her hair and nails done, and look after her skin by treating herself to facials whenever she can afford it. 

4. Look After Your Skin.
Following on from the above point, my mum has always had a beauty regime as far back as I can remember, and she's always drilled it into me to be scrupulous about my skin too. "I've cleansed, toned and moisturised my whole adult life. I always take my make up off before bed, and very rarely go to sleep without applying face cream. I layer up with facial oil, serum, and moisturiser in the morning, and at night facial oil, night cream and eye cream. I don't use the same brand religiously, but I do like to buy the best product I can afford."

5. Moisturise, Moisturise, Moisturise.
My mum really stresses the importance of a good moisturiser, and encouraged me to start using different creams for day/night, as when I was younger I just used a general face moisturising cream."I like to put my night cream on around 9pm so it has longer to sink in and doesn't end up all over my pillow. I also leave my moisturiser on for as long as I can in the morning before applying my make up."

6. Eat a Balanced Diet.
On the subject of food, my mum says "I eat whatever I want as long as it's in moderation, and if I feel like a glass of wine I'll have one." This is definitely advice thats rubbed off on me (well, apart from my lack of restraint with a bottle of wine!)

7. Keep a Positive Outlook.
"Keep up with friends. Talking and laughing keeps you young. Don't let life weigh you down too much, think positively - life is what you make it." I must say, I very rarely hear my mum say anything negative or waste time on idle gossip. I definitely need to learn to be more like her in this respect.

8. Be Happy In Yourself.
My mum has got the kind of natural confidence I can only dream of. I'm always really critical of myself, I definitely need to work on my confidence and self-esteem. "Be happy with the way you look, and if you're not, do something about it. And retail therapy will always lift your spirits!"

9. Smell Sweet.
I've definitely inherited my mum's love of perfume, I spritz away throughout the day and love to smell nice. My mum says "I always wear perfume, even when I'm only in the house."

10. Keep Active as Long as You Can.
My mum still works, and I know that she dreads the day she has to retire. She says "keep working for as long as you can, there's nothing like sitting on your own in the house to make you feel depressed."

What advice have your mums passed down to you?

Happy Mother's Day, Mum x





SHARE:

7 comments

  1. my moms always taught me,

    take care of your skin

    stay away from the sun or you'll get sunburn, wrinkles when you're older and freckles

    act like a lady to be treated like a lady

    keep your reputation and be respectful

    https://www.bloglovin.com/people/manishaanwari2-11510825

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, mother always knows best!

      Delete
  2. Aww, what a lovely post :) your mum is a cool and wise lady! Great advice for everyone. Mum's rock. Happy Mother's Day, Lucy's mum! x

    Amanda Winchester ♥ | AmandaSays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! I hope your mum had a lovely mothers day too!

      Lucy x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I was like noo it's not mothers day and then I realised you're in the UK and very different dates than here!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if you haven't got a present Im guessing you're probably off the hook!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig