Thursday, 2 April 2015

Baking Post: Lemon Drizzle Cake


Now, I'm certainly no Mary Berry, but back in the day when I was younger and had more time (or maybe just managed my time better!) I used to be partial to a spot of baking. Over the last few years I've hardly done any save for possibly one or two birthday cakes, and I'd completely forgotten how therapeutic it can be.

While browsing Bloglovin' I stumbled across Marjolein at Miss CocoBlue's post about a yummy lemon drizzle cake and decided to get my baking groove on.

I tweaked the recipe slightly, but here goes:

YOU WILL NEED:

225g butter (I used Lurpak Salted Butter, and wow it seems like a lot, but trust me it works)
225g caster sugar
275g self-raising flour 
4 eggs (recipe says large but I used medium and they were fine)
4tbsp milk 
3 lemons zest/juice (again the recipe uses 2 but I added 3 to make it a little tangier, it's really up to you)
175g granulated sugar 

The original recipe also says to use 1tsp of baking powder but I skipped this.

INSTRUCTIONS:

The recipe is super-simple.

Pre-heat your oven to 180c.

Add the butter, eggs, caster sugar, flour, milk and lemon zest in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.

Poor the mixture into a baking tin (I used a round one but i think a loaf tin would probably look better). I also used parchment paper to get the cake out more easily because I'm a massive klutz.

The recipe said bake for an hour but I didn't find my cake cooked all the way through in that time, so I left it in for 1 hour 20 mins, it could just be that my oven isn't as hot hot hot as it should be though.

Once the cake is cooked, leave it to cool and then add the lemon juice to the sugar and stir until it forms a thick paste. 
Make some holes in the cake and pour the paste over the top, that way it oozes inside the cake too and makes it nice and lemony. 

And voila! A lovely fluffy and moist lemon drizzle cake. Mine went down a storm, maybe a bit too well because I'm now getting asked to make it again, haha.

Enjoy! 

Here is the original blogpost:



SHARE:

9 comments

  1. This looks so delicious! I'm not amazing at baking but I like baking cakes :) this is perfect for the weekend. Thanks for sharing! x

    AmandaSays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really very good either, but this is so simple it's genuinely foolproof!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. I just ate most of a chocolate bunny, I now need some cake to follow.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Cleanse your palette with some lemon!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, this looks delicious :) x

    www.hello-cat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was soooo good if I say so myself!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! :)

    dianadblogging.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog.Follow and get followed back.
    http://findshopping.blogspot.in/2015/03/list-of-online-shopping-websites-in-usa.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon drizzle is a classic you can't beat - I love making it too! x Rebecca - UK fashion blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig