Thursday, 28 May 2015

Removing Stressful Friendships From Your Life - The Positivity Post


I think most people have come across the above quote at some point by now. As cheesy as it is, it's definitely true. More and more people have realised that its simply not ok to be made to feel bad about yourself, regardless of who it is making you feel that way.

I turned 30 at the end of last year and as cliché as it sounds, something changed in me. I've always been a soft touch, a pushover, a peacemaker, and while I haven't lost those qualities in any way, I've slowly started to realise that sometimes you have to put YOU first, no matter how hard it is.

Life isn't easy, and no one sails through life, I think its important to accept that no ones life is perfect, regardless of how it may seem on the outside. But life can be made even harder simply by the people you choose to surround yourself with, and that's not right. 

I've touched on this a few times before and I won't bore you because no one wants to read a blog and feel depressed - but I recently reached a point where I just became so sick of the negativity in my life, I vowed to make a change. It hasn't been easy putting those walls up but it has been necessary. Life's short - don't waste your time worrying about things you can't change, and unimportant things. Easier said than done I know, and for me its a daily struggle to remind myself, but its getting easier, and I'm getting stronger. 

I truly believe that while social media is a blessing in many ways (the irony of publishing a blog while berating social media isn't lost on me...) but its also a curse because all it serves to do is make us feel insecure and often deeply unhappy with our lives, believing we're missing out on things, and aren't as good as other people, but that's just not true. You can have all the possessions in the world and thousands of glossy perfect photos on your Facebook, but if you're unhappy then what's the point?

The toxicity of some of my friendships has slowly begun to affect me as a person and it just isn't healthy, I'm very fortunate to have some really good friends who make me feel happy and good about myself, but some of my others were making me feel drained and exhausted, so I knew something had to change. I've even been spending a lot of time alone lately because I just didn't feel like being around people, and I've learnt that that's OK too, its all about doing what's right for YOU. So what if you don't reply to that "urgent" text? The world will keep turning. 

As usual, I've been scouring Pinterest for inspiration:


My circle might be smaller, but I'm feeling so much happier and more positive already.

Sorry for the rant, it was meant to be positive but I deviated a bit, haha.

SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Pinterest is the best place to find any kind of inspiration! I think it is important to remove yourself from bad relationships, no matter how difficult it may seem..It's a necessity if you want to be happy. <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Pinterest! It is hard but often necessary

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. I've had situations where I've had to remove friendships from my life because It was all just so negative and got very irritating. I think that's just generally part of life though and people come and go eh? http://www.coffeeatmidnight13.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is part of life, it's a shame but no one needs added negativity in their lives.

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Don't worry Lucy, I've been in EXACTLY the same boat. I've ended a few friendships that were just making me miserable, and I've deactivated my Facebook account, and I've been 100% happier ever since. If it's making you miserable or insecure, bin it, whatever it is, because life is just too short. Awesome post!!! :)

    ♥.•*¨ Amanda Says ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you're feeling happier now, I've considered deactivating Facebook too but haven't yet, I might do in the future!

      Lucy x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig