Friday, 26 June 2015

A Week in Gran Canaria

Last week I went to Gran Canaria for a week's  holiday. I've never been to the Canary Islands before and wasn't sure what to expect, I tend to go on city breaks or places with lots of culture, and haven't been on a beach holiday for a couple of years. I've been having quite a stressful time lately so I was relishing the chance to get away and relax and recharge for a few days.


We stayed at the Barcelo Margaritas Hotel in the Saint Fernando area. We went all inclusive which basically meant I ate my body weight and more every single day and night! The drinks were also free so I got to indulge my love of cocktails too (after all, it would be rude not to...)


We spent the first few days by the pool, I'm a lovely shade of British White so wanted to work on my tan. The weather was BOILING though so I basically just burnt a lot, thanks for nothing factor 50!


To start with, the pool seemed really busy and noisy with loads of kids about (and the Animation Team bursting into song every 2 hours) but then we discovered a second pool at the other side of the hotel grounds, which was unbelievably idyllic and peaceful and just what I needed. I managed to get through 4 books in the space of a week!


We went for a walk every evening for a change of scenery (being all inclusive can make you forget that there's a world outside the hotel and routine!) and the sunsets were just beautiful. We also walked to the beach which was about 20 minutes away. I love how the evenings are so light and balmy abroad, I so wish we had this at home!



The food was just amazing; there was SO much choice every day. Burgers, pizza, fresh fish, meat, vegetables, salads, chips and pasta. There was a Mexican night, a BBQ, Italian night and Asian night (with handmade sushi while you waited) and don't even get me started on dessert! Only on holiday can you eat 3 different types of cake along with mousses and several scoops of ice-cream on the same plate and find this acceptable. I'm sure I've come back several sizes bigger, but I was determined to relax while I was away and not beat myself up over anything. My favourite part was there was actually wine on tap - a pump with white, red and rose to choose from. I need one in my life!


I started each day off with a good breakfast of Spanish omelette, fresh fruit and natural yoghurt. Despite overdoing it in some ways, I avoided anything fried and didn't eat bread at all all week. I've been feeling a lot less bloated, that's for sure.


We did leave the confines of the hotel once or twice and went to the neighbouring towns. We spent a morning at Maspalomas which had a nature reserve, a lovely white sandy beach and amazing sand dunes.


We also went to Mogan which took about an hour by bus and was absolutely be-au-ti-ful! It was filled with gorgeous colourful buildings, winding streets and flowers everywhere! I could have flooded this post with countless photos, it was such a photogenic place.


In terms of clothes, I stuck to pastel and neutral colours, and nothing too tight fitting because of the heat. By the end of the week I was so burnt the red dress I wore on the last night nicely offset my lobster tan!


1. Top & Shorts - both Miss Selfridge / 2. Playsuit - Miss Selfridge / 3. Cream Dress - Vintage
4. Top - H&M, Skirt - TK Maxx / 5. Top - H&M, Skirt - Zara / 6. Dress - Apricot

I had my extensions taken out because I knew they would get in the way of me going in the pool and washing my hair. I'm so glad I did, it felt great to be low maintenance!

Have you been to Gran Canaria?

We stayed - Hotel Barcelo Margaritas
We flew - Ryanair

SHARE:

16 comments

  1. OMG dear!! Your blog is amazing !!

    love the post !!

    keep up the good :)

    come and say hi
    Jadiee'sLittleBlog


    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. those drinks!! they make me wanna go on a vacay :)

    theleeday.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were amazing, I wanna go back!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Seems like you really had a lovely vacation! That pool looks like paradise---I don't think I would leave <3
    xxx
    She Will Be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pool was paradise, it was so hard to tear myself away from it!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  4. I love your photos,it looks so beautiful there.Great post :)

    Valentina from FASHION with VALENTINA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was heaven.

      Lucy x

      Delete
  5. It looks like you had an incredible time! Gran Canaria looks perfect!

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have an amazing time, there were some beautiful places nearby!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  6. nice post :)

    http://www.itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahh sunshine & a kindle... bliss :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Nothing better :)

      Lucy x

      Delete
  8. Ohh it sounds amazing, the views and the food ahh! Hope you had a lovey time, I've never been but it sure looks great! x

    http://the-twins-wardobe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a lovely time and wish I was back!

      Lucy x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig