Sunday, 28 June 2015

Recent Reads

Photos taken from Instagram - Yellowicing

I've always been an avid reader, but for a long time now busy life has seemed to get in the way (that and binge watching Netflix anyway) I find that relaxing with a good book really soothes me and makes me feel more centred somehow. On my recent holiday I was determined to find some balance and managed to get through 3.5 books which is good going! 
Here are the books I've been enjoying recently:

    

This Fragile Life - Kate Hewitt

This isn't my usual kind of book but my Mum actually recommended it to me as she found it incredibly moving. The story centres around two 30-something women in New York, Alex and Martha. Martha is married, successful and desperate to be a Mum, but hasn't been able to conceive. Her friend Alex is single and free-spirited with a low paid job and an unsuitable flat, but falls pregnant after a one night stand. The story shows how this baby affects their friendship, particularly after Alex agrees to let Martha adopt her child. Its shown equally from both women's perspectives, and is a really touching and emotional read. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down, and finished within a day and a half.

Daughter - Jane Shemilt

This book seems to be everywhere, and I've heard nothing but good reviews. It's about a busy Mum juggling between her family and her work as a GP, she notices some changes to her teenage daughter Naomi's behaviour, but just as she's about to talk to her about it, Naomi goes missing. While they're trying to find her, more and more secrets are revealed and her mother realises she didn't know her daughter as well as she thought she did. This kind of psychological thriller is my favourite type of book to read and again I couldn't put this down. The ending was a little bit disappointing I thought, but its still worth a read.


We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - Karen Joy Fowler

This is definitely not the kind of book I would normally go for, but it was one of my 'Kindle Recommends' and as it's won several literary awards I thought I'd give it a go. I can't really describe it without giving the plot twist away (I read it in the description before I started reading the book so sort of spoilt it for myself, although its revealed early on anyway) but it's the story of a young girl called Rosemary growing up in 1970's America in a dysfunctional family. Her brother and sister are both missing from the home and the story goes on to explain why, and it isn't what you'd expect! Its written in a witty, self-deprecating way which I liked, but parts of the story I found a little annoying. I managed to get through it quickly though so it obviously captured my attention.

The Killing 2 - David Hewson

I read the first book in the series at the end of last year, and absolutely couldn't put it down. I've been trying to read this since January but just kept stopping and starting and then getting distracted (and discovered Pretty Little Liars basically!) This is a Danish police crime/psychological thriller and now I've concentrated on it properly I'm really enjoying it. I read it all the way back on the 4.5 hour flight and wasn't bored, I've got the last chapter to read now and I'm gripped. Roll on book 3! 


What do you think of my summer reads? Have you read any of these books?

SHARE:

8 comments

  1. i love to read but i tend to have a short attention span so i never finish books haha, i really want to start again though so i'll check these out :)

    danielle | avec danielle // giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I do too to be honest, I think it was just because I was on holiday that I concentrated with less distraction!

      Lucy x- Yellowicing

      Delete
  2. I would love to read more books! I can just never find the time :) x

    www.hello-cat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, real life gets in the way! Holiday was the perfect opportunity to catch up!

      Lucy x- Yellowicing

      Delete
  3. great blog, have a nice week!

    http://www.itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I'm going to have to look out for a few of these!

    Anika | www.anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some great reads there!

      Lucy x- Yellowicing

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig