Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Things it's OK to be OK with


It's taken me a long time, and I'm sure I probably still have a long way to go, but I'm finally finding it easier to accept certain things about myself that I struggled with before.

Being Yourself

For me, this can mean anything from embracing my sense of style (some say quirky) my interests and my taste in music. I've always had a strong sense of who I was from a young age, and my parents have always encouraged me to be different and not be afraid to stand out from the crowd. But over the last few years I've allowed my natural style to be diluted in order to look/be more how I feel I should look/be. Whatever it is you love doing, do it, and don't be ashamed of doing it.


Your Height

Now I'm far from an endlessly limbed Amazonian (I'm only 5'6") but I've often found myself wishing I was a few inches shorter, because most of my friends were. In the group shots I'd always take my shoes off, or crouch, or wear lower heels, because I didn't want to look like a big clumpy giant alongside several petite girls. But we don't all have to fit a certain mould, there's nothing wrong with not being dainty and pocked sized, and standing tall for photos. The same thing I'm sure goes for shorter girls who wish they were taller and feel self conscious about their height. Just learn to love yourself.


Putting Yourself First 

I'm not going to over-egg the pudding with this one as I've touched on this subject before, but I personally find saying no to people really difficult, and it doesn't need to be. You should never feel guilty or selfish for putting yourself first and prioritising your own needs. If you've had a bad day and just want to put your PJ's on, soak in the bath or eat a tub of Ben & Jerry's - why shouldn't you? Care for youself like you'd care for another person, listen to what your mind and body are asking for and provide it.


Finding & Loving Yourself

Again, its not egotistical to love yourself, people misunderstand and assume you must be really full of yourself, but if you don't love yourself who else is going to? Find what it is you love (I struggle with this, I have a lot of passions but no real plans) so I try and indulge my passions as often as I can while I'm figuring out what path I want to take. Even if its as simple as going for a walk by the sea, smothering yourself in beautifully scented body lotion or getting lost in a good book, if it makes you happy then you should do more of it. Often through doing things you love you'll end up finding out what it is that you really want and need. 



Terminating Toxic Relationships

Yeah, this. A personal bugbear of mine, there is far too much unnecessary bitchiness and negativity going on, life is hard enough without the added drama. Walk away from anyone or anything that makes you feel bad about yourself, keep your circle small and surround yourself with people that encourage and support you. As I've discovered myself, real friendships (or any other kind of relationships) should never be toxic. If you're finding you're leaving a get together with friends feeling bad about yourself or over-analysing everything you said and feeling guilty, then its toxic. Sack it off!


Feeling Overwhelmed 

Finally, we all have bad days (or weeks/months) and it's perfectly natural, life isn't always roses and perfectly shot Instagram photos. If you do feel bogged down and overwhelmed with life, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Use the time to reflect and know that it'll pass (even if it doesn't seem like it) and stop comparing yourself to others (GUILTY) Life is tough, and the modern world is getting increasingly tough. Just give yourself a duvet day and put your phone on silent, and have faith that nothing's permanent.


Do you agree with any of these?

SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I love this post. We all need to hear these things from time to time, and I've definitely been struggling with a few of them recently. The thing about toxic relationships particularly strikes a chord; it can be so hard to let go of friendships that have brought you happiness in the past but cause you grief in the present.

    Thanks for sharing this lovely!

    Helen xx
    Hels Yeah | Fashion & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks lovely, I'm happy you enjoyed it. Toxic friendships has definitely struck a chord with me lately too, sorry to hear you've gone through it too as I know how tough it can be

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. This is such a lovely post. I am definitely going to remember those quotes. Thank you for sharing this.

    Beth x
    www.hellobeth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, glad you enjoyed it. I loved the quotes too.

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Being yourself is so important. I’ve lost myself a few times trying to be what other people have wanted me to be, and I know EXACTLY what you mean about having your natural style diluted. In retrospect, I’m kicking myself for that, but it taught me not to compromise myself for anyone again. YES, YES, YES to finding & loving yourself and doing the things you love, I love that you said that!! I’m still on that journey myself, I’m still learning to love myself but I love discovering new passions and things about myself. And the fact is, life is too short for toxic relationships and people that make us feel bad, I’ve had a few friendships like that and honestly feel a 100% better since ending them. What a great post this is, Lucy! Have a fabulous day, m’dear :) x

    ♥.•*¨ Amanda Says ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Amanda, I'm glad you enjoyed it and felt you could relate to it :) sounds like we've both definitely learnt the hard way not to compromise on who we are! Onwards and upwards!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  4. I love this post! Sometimes it's easy to forget to love yourself. And I totally relate on the height situation. I'm 5'8" and used to hate being so tall. Now I know to embrace that, and that it's beautiful to be tall (or short)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, it really is! I'm glad you're embracing who you are! :)

      Lucy x

      Delete
  5. This post is everything, Lucy! I'm still in the stage where I try to accept myself for who I am and I'm by nowhere near the end goal, but I'm working my way towards it slowly.

    One thing I find the hardest to do, oddly, is that I can't seem to love myself. It's perhaps the thing I suck at the most. I find that perhaps it's due to me feeling extremely self-conscious about people's perception of me (yet another thing I'm working on) that I don't want to come off as full of myself, like you said. But y'know what, I'm embracing myself slowly, little by little, and reading this post has been such an encouragement, so thank you, Lucy!

    I'm 5"6 as well but, unlike you, I wish I was taller, haha! Wonderful post, Lucy, and I'm genuinely glad I found your blog; You've got a unique voice and I can't wait to read more of your posts!

    May | THE MAYDEN | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh May, thank you so much for your lovely comment, it's made my day!
      Loving yourself is REALLY hard, I'm still learning and I find it a struggle every day, but I'm slowly getting there, and so will you. From the sneaky peek I've seen of your blog I can tell you're awesome! I care way too much what others think of me but at the end of the day it is what you think of yourself that truly matters, no matter how hard it seems.

      Lucy x

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post, everything is so true! Always love yourself x

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's difficult to do but so important!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  7. This is beautiful! I think I really needed to read this today. Super inspiring with wonderful words. xx


    http://rebeccaplumridge.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks for your kind words, I think we all need a list boost sometimes!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  8. How have I not read this before?! So inspiring and beautifully written. I'm going to make sure I read this everyday to remind myself of all these things! Lovely stuff! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if only I could take my own advice! Thanks :) xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig