Wednesday, 14 October 2015

A Short Break in Palma


Last week I went for a short break to Palma in Spain. This was the second time I've been, having first been in November last year (I blogged) and although I had no expectations last time, we loved it there. So I was looking forward to heading back, and I knew a few days in the sun would do me the world of good after a somewhat stressful time lately.

Palma conjures up images of a typical Spanish package holiday (not being snobby but Magaluf is its neighbour...) but as its a city, it's more like a sunny city break than a beach resort. 
It has a very relaxed, laid-back atmosphere, with plenty of emphasis on slow-paced living and taking time over food and drink. Both of which we did loads of, naturally.

(the view from our hotel balcony)

As with last time, we stayed at the Tryp Bellver which has amazing views over the marina. I'm a bit of a creature of habit when it comes to hotels, once I find somewhere I like I'm usually happy to keep on returning. 
The rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean, and there's a good selection of hot and cold foods at breakfast. We actually ended up getting an upgrade to a suite because the receptionist accidentally gave us a room that was already occupied! Don't think the occupants were too happy when we barged into the room at 1am (when we arrived) and clattered around with our cases! (The hotel were very apologetic though, so we had to see the funny side!)

The hotel has (for us) a great location, because we wanted to be near the seafront, although obviously there are hotels that are more more centrally based. I'd strongly recommend asking for a sea-facing room, the views are beautiful!


I went with my Mum and we crammed quite a lot into our trip. I'm going to write a couple of more detailed posts about things to do as this one is already quite photo-heavy (it's a very photogenic place though) We were there for 4 days and went out to eat every evening, there's a lot of choices of bars and restaurants - it's a nice mix of vibrant and bustling while still seeming quite peaceful.


Weather-wise we were ridiculously lucky - it was high 20's every day, definitely flip flops and shorts weather, on one of our trips to the beach everybody was sunbathing in bikinis which I hadn't been expecting for October, it made my glittery, Autumn-themed iPhone wallpaper look really unseasonal, haha.


We did a couple of day trips; the Ferrocarril de Sóller (a vintage wooden train) and the Cuevas del Drach (10 million year old caves) are two excursions I'd definitely recommend, as well as wandering around the old town looking at the amazing architecture (castles, cathedral and art gallery to name but a few). Palma also houses a large shopping centre (mainly Spanish stores obviously, but for me that was like heaven as two of my favourite shops, Zara and Pull & Bear are Spanish so I was cursing my hand luggage allowance!) as well as several streets of designer stores, and loads of café's to sit and people-watch in, which seems to be a national pastime.


Palma is bright and cheerful, with friendly people and quirky, colourful design. It's definitely a mood-booster, it's almost impossible not to feel happy and relaxed there. The days seem to go so much more slowly than they do at home, probably because of the less-rushed pace of life. I didn't want to come back!

(beautiful ceiling of the tram taking us to Sóller) 


Have you been to Palma?

SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Wow, great post, I absolutely love the photos! Never been to Palma, but would love to visit one day =) The food & drink look so yummy!

    Following on bloglovin' <3

    Kay
    http://shoesandglitter.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay, and thanks so much for the follow! Food and drink was definitely yummy!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. wow great pics

    http://carrieslifestyle.com
    Posts online about Amalfi, Amsterdam, Rio...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos!

    Followed you via GFC hope you'll do the same.
    Lou of, Steal the Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, and thanks so much for the follow!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  4. Omg! Amazing pictures and great post :)

    http://the-newone.blogspot.ru/

    INSTAGRAM - hellodashi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice photographs!
    I also have been to Palma, such a beautiful place :)

    Love,
    anjatellsyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's lovely there isn't it.

      Lucy x

      Delete
  6. OH it looks like you had such a wonderful time and your pictures are beautiful. I always love looking at people's photos and swooning over beautiful places that I'd love to potentially visit. Palma is definitely somewhere I'd love! xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, I do that too! Lifestyle and photo posts are my favourites! I'd definitely recommend it there!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  7. what a dreamy time! looks like a fun adventure!
    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelsey, it was great!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  8. awww, it looks so cosy, like in a dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naimah, it was beautiful!

      Lucy x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig