Wednesday, 21 October 2015

Palma: What to See and Do

Following on from my my original post about my trip to Palma;  I mentioned that I'd write in more detail about what there is to see and do in the city. These are my recommendations for the things you really should see, particularly if you're only there for a short time:

The Cathedral of Santa Maria (La Seu)
A Gothic Roman Catholic cathedral that Gaudi designed, it's absolutely breathtaking. I don't claim to know much about architecture, but I'm a big fan of Gaudi and absolutely love seeing his work in Barcelona. When I discovered he had worked on this cathedral I knew I wanted to visit; we went last time and it stuck in my head as being incredible.
It's so unique and detailed, it just took my breath away. I don't think any photos can do it justice.


Ferrocarril de Soller
This wooden train has been running between Palma and the village of Soller since 1912, and its definitely one of the main things to do in Palma. The journey takes around an hour, and the views are fabulous - you go through mountains and lemon groves. Soller itself is a really pretty little village, with cobbled streets, local delicatessens, a beautiful cathedral and lots of little cafes. It would be quite easy to while away the hours there, but if you wanted to head to the Port of Soller you can catch a wooden tram from the main station, and spend the day at the beach. For a combined train-tram trip (which we did) it´s around 30 euros. 



Cuevas del Drach
These caves are simply stunning. We went into a Tourist Information Office and booked a bus trip, although we were told you can also make your own way there quite easily. Personally I prefer trips as you get picked up and dropped off at your hotel and there´s a guide with you to answer questions, but it´s a matter of personal preference. The bus journey took around 90 mins, and you can get round the caves in about 45 minutes to an hour. I´d recommend wearing flat shoes as it can be slightly slippery in parts, and it´s also fairly humid in there. There are beautiful formations of stalactites and stalagmites, and the highlight for me was a 10 minute classical music concert played by a string quartet on a boat in the pitch black, only lit up by fairy lights around the boat! It was magical and well worth seeing. Tickets for the caves are around 15 euros, but we paid more because we had our bus journey there and back too.


Finally:

Hop On/Off Sightseeing Bus
We did this on both our trips, as although Palma is a reasonably compact city with everything mostly within walking distance, I think these buses are a great way of getting an overview of everything. I like sitting on the open top deck and feeling the wind in my hair (haha) but its also better for getting clear photos. The tour takes in the cathedral, castle, marina, and old town. We bought our tickets from our hotel reception (can´t remember the exact price but it was pretty reasonable) but there´s an office near the seafront, or as the name suggests you can just hop on and off a red bus when it passes!

Do you fancy doing any of these things?


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Wow Palma looks amazing, I am so jealous! I can't wait to travel one day. Those caves look breathtaking, I find them so intriguing.

    http://milkshakekingdom.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're beautiful aren't they, absolutely stunning.

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. Gaudi is one of my all time favourite architects! His work is so beautiful :) x

    www.thebeautymist.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his work, I just find it so interesting and intricate!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Great post dear! Have a nice day:)

    irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig