Monday, 5 October 2015

The MacDonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa

When I first started this blog, my main aim was to write about travel and  hotel reviews. Since then I've deviated a little into other things, so I've decided that once a month or so I'm going to concentrate on a specific hotel, be it one I've stayed in or just want to stay in and make it into a regular feature, to take me back to my roots (now I have that song in my head...)

So. Last week, we drove up to Tarporley in Cheshire for a stay at the Macdonald Portal Hotel. I've stayed in this chain before, in Manchester. The Portal is predominantly a golf hotel with three large courses stretching across the grounds, but even if you're not a golfer it's a nice, comfortable hotel.


We stayed in a Signature Room, with a king sized bed, seating area and large spacious bathroom. The room was huge and warm and comfortable.


One of my favourite things to do when I stay in a hotel is soak in the bath. I don't know why really because I can easily have a bath at home any time, but there's something really luxurious and special about running a big bubble bath in a hotel and lying back and relaxing (surely not only me?!)


The bathroom was sizeable, with a large power shower and warm fluffy towels. The toiletries were also lovely, a handmade lavender soap was a nice touch and added to the luxurious feel of the room. 


We were actually at the hotel for a wedding, and we were certainly blessed with the weather. It was a beautiful sunny day which was actually really warm for late September, and the beautifully manicured grounds were set off to perfection in the bright sunshine. There's a pretty fountain right in the centre of the gardens that's a focal point.


Because we were at a wedding, we ate a set meal and didn't get to sample any of the cuisine from the restaurant, although it certainly looked lovely. 
We didn't miss out though as our menu included goats cheese and roasted red pepper tart to start, followed by roast chicken wrapped in bacon and crème brulee for dessert. All 3 courses were delicious, I could eat that tart again right now! When the coffee was served there was a selection of different chocolates which was a nice touch.


The next morning we were blessed with yet another beautiful September day, and a wander round the grounds was in order. The area surrounding the hotel is massive, and really lush and green with loads of trees lining the winding drive. It's set quite far from the main road so its really quiet.


Our stay was lovely, and the staff just the right side of friendly and attentive. I slept more soundly than I have in ages (although weddings are tiring!) in the huge comfortable bed and dark, quiet room.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel for an overnight stay, its also only a stones throw from little villages such as Tarporley and Nantwich, both of which are pretty and worth a visit.

Have you ever stayed at the Macdonald Portal?
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I really like the you do honest hotel reviews, it's super helpful for anyone looking to go away and the pictures really help to get an idea of what the place is REALLY like. This does sound like you had a lovely stay and the food looks really yum! xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, that's made my day! I'm glad you think so, I always like to read reviews and I like an honest opinion so that's what I'm trying to put across :) it was lovely, and the food was delish!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had an amazing time babe! Just look at that weather! :D x

    www.hello-cat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, we sure did! Was roasting!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. We had a lovely break, thanks!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  4. The hotel looks lovely - what a pretty area! Also.. that food looks so so good!!
    Rachel Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really lovely area, so quaint and rural, with lots of pretty places nearby. The food was gorgeous!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  5. Wow you guys really did luck out with the weather! Hope you had fun at the wedding and thank you for sharing these photos with us - look like a lovely place and I also love taking baths but sometimes avoid it at hotels because I think about how many other people have used the tub before me - which I guess is kind of silly, but there are clearly hotels where you do not want to take a bath in.

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're right! There are DEFINITELY some hotel baths I wouldn't dare get into! Thankfully though this one was really nice :)

      Lucy x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig