Monday, 2 November 2015

Writing Posts for Content


A bit of a different post for me here, but basically I'm on the lookout for some feedback. 
As a fairly new and not very established blogger, I  get contacted by companies reasonably often asking me if I'd like to write a post/promote a campaign for them, which 99% of the time I'm more than happy to do (unless the post is something that in no way reflects my blog)

As I started this blog as an outlet for writing which is something I love to do, I enjoy writing these kinds of posts and am grateful that my blog is enough on the radar to be selected by companies. 
However, I do have a bit of a bugbear and I really just wanted to know if other bloggers encounter the same - every time (without fail) I've written a content-only post, I've had the company in question email me gushing about my post, but then asking me to correct/edit/rewrite certain sections!

Is it only me this happens to or am I being naive and is it just what happens?!

Because these posts are collaborative only, and I don't get paid (either in money or samples) I do feel this is quite cheeky, because it takes time and effort to write these posts, and thats not to mention taking/searching for photos and including links. 

Some examples include:

"Hi Lucy! Great post! I really love what you've done here, looks awesome! However, can I ask that you remove the part where it says 'collaborative' as we don't want it to affect our ratings. Thanks!"

"Hi Lucy, I'm loving the ideas you've chosen and think it looks incredible. Could I just ask a favour though? Would you be able to change the part where you wrote "(company) approached me", and instead write "I was inspired by (company)" as this campaign is open to all and we don't want to look inclusive like we're approaching individual bloggers! What do you think?"

"Thank you so much for sharing your post Lucy, I am so in love. Would you mind also including a further link in (this section) as a great resource for your readers? Let me know what you think"

This post is in NO WAY meant to sound ungrateful and moany because I do love the opportunities it brings me, but as I've usually already included 2-3 links in the body of a short post, I don't really think it's fair to keep asking for more! I thought the whole point of a blog was that it was supposed to be YOUR words and opinions?

I rewrote my disclaimer a few months ago stating that as all words are my own, once a post is live it won't be amended, but it obviously doesn't get read.
I also requested that companies return the favour by sharing my post via their social media channels (as I'm doing it for nothing other than promo for them and would like some promo back) but this has never happened (although they often state in their first email that this is their intention).

As I'm a pretty tiny blog I don't really expect to be paid, but I don't want to be exploited either! I'm happy to keep on writing these posts, but I don't want to be told to amend my own words.

Does this happen to you too? Any advice? If this is commonplace then it's pretty annoying isn't it!


SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I totally agree that this is annoying! Although I only have a small blog, I'm just refusing some posts where I feel that I'm being took for a mug. At the end of the day, blogging is a hobby for me but if a brand wants me to write something for them, then I expect payment or compensation of some sort. Especially when I have a full-time job, I'm taking a good couple of hours to write a post, I ain't doing it for free! Haha that kind of makes me sound like a bitch, but I just can't be arsed being taken advantage of!
    --
    Pretty Mad Things .. x o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah I totally get where you're coming from!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. I agree it can be frustrating but I feel like once you get into your groove of what the sponsors are expecting of you it becomes routine. There are specific arrangements of words they are looking for and some are straight up honest with their intentions and what they want from you! Best wishes learning the process! I recommend looking at some popular sponsored posts to get some motivation back! =)

    Happy Monday!

    Melanie | Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I guess so, just annoys me when they ask to me rewrite stuff! I'll toughen up soon enough I'm sure! Haha

      Lucy x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig