Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Simplicity


Over the last few months, I've noticed how irritated I'm becoming by the amount of possessions I own. This sounds horribly like a first world problem, but I think the level of material goods I have is beyond a joke. 

Whenever I find myself feeling stressed. the one word that seems to keep floating into my head is 'simplicity' - I truly feel that if I had less stuff, I'd be happier. 

A minimalist life is so appealing to me, I've been reading up on various articles and I love the sound of enjoying what I do have more, and having less clutter accumulating around me would definitely make me feel calmer. 


I have simplified my life in lots of ways already, 2015 has definitely been a learning curve for me. I would say that despite a lot of changes, I'm happier in general than I was this time last year, I just didn't realise it. The next logical step is to start cutting back on how much I own!

I don't think (as much as I love the idea) that a capsule wardrobe is doable for me, I've spent the last 10 years building up an enviable collection of clothes and shoes (I think I was channelling SJP!) but reality has struck - I live in Wales, not NYC, and I'm not out in cocktail dresses and Manolo's every night (although, life goals...) so realistically, I'm going to have to start condensing my collection.

This doesn't just affect clothes - do I really need 10+ sets of bedding? A collection of back-up candles? An entire drawer full of bangles? I think not.

Have you tried cutting back? Does the minimalistic way of life appeal to you?
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I have been cutting back on things for ages! I honestly have no space! Every draw is full and that gets me down as I can't find anything! I'm slowly getting there but I have got a long way to go! I have got rid of loads of clothes I don't wear, so therapeutic!
    Fix Me In Forty Five - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog
    Blog Lovin' // Instagram
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my drawers are overflowing, I have no room for anything! It's so frustrating!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. Oh yes being minimal is always a good thing. I am a bit minimalistic (when it doesn't affect shoes and bags) indeed so I love your idea) 10+ bedding is of now real use. Better get a new one once old are not satisfying you any longer.

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog
    P.S. I loved your blog and just wanted t let you know it. Have a great week from your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Lyosha, minimalism is definitely a good thing!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. This is so interesting, because I've never really thought about it that way. I guess it just really depends on what items. I love my make-up and shoes and that's something that will never change. Do I have too much of them? Probably, but I just like options haha. I do think it's a good idea to clear out my wardrobe and give away all the items I never wear or don't like anymore. A way to start fresh in 2016! :)

    X Marjolein
    http://misscocoblue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too so it's going to be a really hard habit to break! I like the idea of a fresh new year and new start though!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  4. A life with less clutter would be just lovely! My main problem is books lol. I've cut down on my wardrobe a lot, and I have a new rule, if I get one new thing I have to get rid of one old thing. That's the aim, anyway! It's quite difficult when you live with your family but when I have my own place I will definitely live a more simple life. The worst thing is having so much stuff when you have slight OCD about messiness, like me lol :) x

    ♥.•*¨ Amanda Says ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have OCD too Amanda! Which is why I drive myself mad! I cut down on a lot of books and CDs but it's clothes that are the problem for me!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  5. In my head I've tried cutting back.. does that count? :P I totally agree with you though. I have also been really bothered by all the shit I own. Most of it is useless. I really have to sort all my crap out. But for now... procrastination.
    It'sMyLife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep procrastination is the way forward for me too! If I avoid it it seems to stop bothering me haha

      Lucy x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig