Friday, 5 February 2016

Five (Apparently) Unncecessary Beauty Products


Recently while browsing Facebook, I came across an article with the title:

Intrigued, I read it. And I have to say, NONE of the things listed are the things I thought the article would mention.
Personally, I'm not sure how many of these I'd even class as 'beauty products' and I found the whole article pretty laughable. But I thought this would be a fun post to write, to see whether I'm in the minority when I say I can't actually live without these things.

1. Shampoo.
OK, this one didn't come as a great surprise because I've heard it said that if you don't use shampoo your hair will eventually clean itself. This article says we are 'conditioned' by commercials to use shampoo, and that it actually strips our skin/scalp of its natural ability to moisturise and produce oils.
The author goes on to say that she shampoos only once a month. My hair is like an oil slick after 2 days so I'm really not sure I could go out in public for the rest of the month.

2. Bras.
Now, a bra isn't something I would personally class as a beauty product. And I personally hate wearing a bra (the minute the bra is off, plans are off as far as I'm concerned!) because I just find them generally uncomfortable. But for me, as much as I'd actually love to not wear a bra, I'm on the slightly larger end of the spectrum boob wise, and it would just be waaay too painful to go without. Shame.

3. Shoes.
Now, this one made me LOL. I totally get that 'our feet did not evolve with footwear' and our feet are designed to function without them, but seriously? In the modern world, could any of us really go around every day without shoes? Don't even get me started on the sharp stones (ow), bacteria and blood/vomit/dog poo all over the streets. And being stood on by a stiletto?! My heart's in my mouth just thinking about this one!

4. Anti-Perspirant.
Now, Cameron Diaz might not wear this, but for a sweaty Betty like me this isn't even an option, as much as I'd love it to be, cos I could REALLY do without the burn of freshly shaved pits when this baby hits them. I know there are some health concerns associated with it also (although I think the most recent research says they're largely unfounded, who knows?!) and I kinda agree that the chemicals in deodorants potentially sound a bit scary, but I would just stress all day that I smelt of BO if I didn't use it (which would make me sweat even more, the irony)

5. Lotion.
This one was a bit of eye-opener for me. I do use moisturiser on my face daily, and on my body (when I remember - aint nobody got time for a full body moisturise before work on a dark morning) but I found it a bit off-putting that apparently these products strip your skin and 'soft smooth skin is just an illusion, as the longer you use it the more dependant your skin becomes on it' Beneath the psycho-babble there's probably some truth in that. Of all 5 (minus the bra god damnit) this is probably the item I could sacrifice the most.

Do you agree with this or do you think its a load of mumbo jumbo?
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Whaaaat? Well I'm going to have to disagree with all of them! I know that hair will eventually clean itself and all that, but I'm the same, my hair gets super oily after just a couple of days! Also ditto on the bra front, I'm on the larger end of the spectrum boob wise too, much as I would LOVE to go out without one. An intriguing post, Lucy! Happy Friday, chica :) x

    ♥.•*¨ Amanda Says ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, such a bizarre selection aren't they! I definitely couldn't go without a bra much as I'd like to, and not washing my hair would be awful!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. heehee, I can't believe anyone would ever let their hair start to self clean, imagine how dirty it would be before it got there! Surley it'd only ever be boys who have super short hair anyway! That lotion one I would say is absolute mumbo jumbo! Lotions don't strip your skin [that's what shower gels do], lotions give nourishing omegas, minerals and vitamins to your skin - they help your skin to be healthier and hold onto water [better!] - that is proven by science :D - YAY!

    www.honestyforyourskin.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's reassuring! Not that it's not stopped me using it anyway, haha!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Great list! I would love to see how we all would get on without these things - most of them I don't think I could get rid of!

    www.ohsobecky.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig