Saturday, 27 February 2016

The Oscars: Six Films To Watch

A bit of a different post for me this time, but with the Oscars looming this weekend, I thought I'd get into the spirit!
I'm a big ol' film buff, I absolutely love going to the cinema, or cuddling up on the sofa with a good movie and some snacks. Recently, I seem to have been able to indulge my love of film a lot and have managed to see several really good films over the last few weeks. 
And so here are my top picks from the nominations:

Bridge of Spies (141 Minutes)

I'm a big fan of Tom Hanks, everything he touches turns to gold. This isn't my usual type of film, it's a historical drama based during the Cold War, and is the true story of a lawyer who was entrusted to negotiate with Russia over the release of an American pilot in exchange for a Russian KGB spy the States were holding. It sounds a little heavy but it really isn't, my only criticism is that it's not particularly historically accurate (thanks Wikipedia!) but I guess they have to have a little artistic licence. 
6 Nominations: Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor (Mark Rylance), Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Production Design, Best Sound Mixing

The Danish Girl (119 Minutes)

This film is loosely based on the story of two Danish painters in the mid 1920's. Portrait artist Gerda asks her husband, landscape artist Einar, to stand in for a female model she's painting and while doing so it unmasks the realisation that he's identified as a woman all his life. He begins to dress as a woman and later undergoes sexual reassignment surgery. It's another amazing performance by Eddie Redmayne, but for me his wife played by Alicia Vikander really stands out and she deserves her nomination.
4 Nominations: Best Actor (Eddie Redmayne), Best Supporting Actress (Alicia Vikander), Best Production Design, Best Costume Design

The Hateful Eight (167 Minutes)

I love Tarantino films, he's one of my favourite directors, I just love the way he shoots film. This film is definitely on the long side, and it's also a tad controversial in parts (probably why Cineworld boycotted it) but personally I loved it. It's the story of eight strangers who seek refuge during a blizzard in a stagecoach stopover sometime after the American Civil War, and all end up somehow being linked to one another.
It's definitely a bit distasteful in parts (except as a Tarantino fan that's what I've come to expect from his films) but genuinely laugh out loud funny too, and Samuel L Jackson and Kurt Russell stand out for me.
3 Nominations: Best Supporting Actress (Jennifer Jason Leigh), Best Original Score, Best Cinematography 

The Revenant (156 Minutes)

I LOVE Leo and have done for his whole career. I was dying to see this film and I wasn't disappointed. It's very long and bleak (although beautifully shot, that scenery = wow) and gory in parts, but I was hooked. I was shocked to discover it was also based on a true story! Hugh Glass was a frontiersman and fur trapper in 1823 in Montana, and it details his struggle for survival and his determination for revenge on the man who killed his son.
The film is quite painful to watch, including the scene with a bear that everyone's heard of, and the fight between Leo and Tom Hardy is BRUTAL. But it's amazing and if Leo doesn't win an Oscar for this he may as well give up! 
12 Nominations: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Leonardo DiCaprio), Best Supporting Actor (Tom Hardy), Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Makeup & Hairstyling, Best Visual Effects, Best Film Editing, Best Production Design

Joy (124 Minutes) 

Admittedly, this is a strange one, It's again based on a true story, and is about a divorced mother who lives with her warring parents, competitive sister (and her ex-husband in the basement) who invents the Miracle Mop and becomes an overnight sensation and self made millionaire. The cast is brilliant, Jennifer Lawrence is so believable and watchable, and she's reunited with Bradley Cooper (who has a pretty small role) Robert DeNiro plays her father, and it's just a quirky, simple, lighthearted film. Especially compared to the other heavy films I've mentioned.
1 Nomination: Best Actress (Jennifer Lawrence) 

Spotlight (129 Minutes)

Now THIS, is probably the best film I've seen so far, and I'll be surprised if anything manages to top it this year. This film is about the Boston's Globe's Investigative Journalism Team 'Spotlight' and their uncovering of the widespread child sexual abuse by the Roman Catholic Church. It's hard hitting, but so so gripping, I was hooked. Again it's a true story, and Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo and Rachel McAdams are brilliantly cast. 10/10.
I hope this wins something!
6 Nominations: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Mark Ruffalo), Best Supporting Actress (Rachel McAdams), Best Original Screenplay, Best Film Editing

This post ended up being a bit epic! But this years Awards are shaping up to be good, and thats without all the amazing red carpet fashion too!

Have you seen any of these films?





SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Spotlight and Joy are the two I'm so excited about! They both have full on powerful messages. Lovely post hun!
    Fix Me In Forty Five - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog
    Blog Lovin' // Instagram
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually I've seen at least one of the Oscar nominated films...but alas I have not. I really wanted to see The Hateful 8 and Joy but just didn't get to the theater in time! Can't wait for the RedBox to get them! =)

    Have a great weekend! Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig