Monday, 23 May 2016

A Short Break in Nice

If you've read my blog for a while. you'll know by now that Nice in the South of France is my favourite ever holiday destination, and somewhere my Mum and I go every year.
Now, for someone who gets bored quite easily I would never have imagined finding somewhere that I could keep returning to without getting fed up of it, but that's never happened (in nearly 10 years) and I can't imagine it ever being the case. 
For one reason or another, we ended up having to go Monday-Friday and those 5 days just flew by. If I could have stayed forever longer, I definitely would have. For me, Nice has almost everything you could want; a constant warm (mid-high 20s) temperature, an abundance of restaurants/bars, absolutely beautiful scenery and great shopping.
This time we stayed at the Hotel Ambassador and although it was basic, it was a really lovely, peaceful little hotel that had everything we needed for a short break.
We really wanted a relaxed, easy break with no set plans, and that's exactly what we had.

One of my favourite things to do is visit the flower market in the old town, which is filled with fresh fruit, fish, vegetables and other local produce, as well as crafts and as the name suggests, fresh flowers. It's really bustling and atmospheric, and you know you're in a French market.
The rest of our time was spent walking (my Fitbit was easily clocking up 10-12000 steps a day compared to my shameful 5-7000 steps at home) eating, drinking cocktails and relaxing in the sun. The evenings were slightly cool but other than that you can't complain.

Since our first trip I've wanted to visit the Russian Orthodox Cathedral, it's so visually stunning and I've always wanted to visit Russia and look at the incredible architecture. This time we managed to get there while it was open and have a proper look around, it's just breathtaking.
We also got the bus to the village of Eze which is my favourite place on earth, and wandered around the quaint cobbled streets as well as whiling away a few hours sitting in the lovely hilltop cafe bars.

We were lucky enough to get a free upgrade in the hotel to a superior room with a balcony overlooking the sea, we bought a bottle of wine at a local supermarket and sat out on the balcony each evening in the sun, I managed to get through 2 books on this holiday!
Finally, on our last night we treated ourselves to a cocktail at the Negresco, a 5* luxury hotel on the Promenade that I would LOVE to stay in one day and wandered along looking at the beautiful sunset.
No matter how many times I visit, I can safely say I'll never tire of Nice or the beautiful Cote D'azur, it feels like home, my spiritual home at least, and nowhere makes me feel happier or more content.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig