Sunday, 19 June 2016

Books to Change Mindset

It's been ages since I've done a book post, and I'm always eager to hear any recommendations for good reads. While I'll forever be a fan of crime/psychological books (really I think I need some escapism from what I deal with in work every day!) lately I've been getting really into books that make me think, and help adjust my mindset.
These books have done just that, they've given me some food for thought and helped me adopt some tactics to help with positive thinking:

This book is probably not something I'd have picked up in the past as the premise wouldn't have interested me at all, but as I've really got into de-cluttering and reducing my possessions over the last few months it struck a chord. Marie Kondo is a Japanese organisational consultant who swears by her method of completely de-cluttering by getting rid of anything that doesn't 'spark joy' when you touch it, thus helping you adopt a positive and calm mindset. While aspects of the book are a little bit too out-there for me, it's certainly quirky and I've put a few of Marie's techniques in to place already which has made a huge difference. 

I came across this book through a couple of other bloggers, at a time when I was feeling particularly lost. The theory behind this book is so interesting, as Danielle Laporte feels that in order to pinpoint our true desires in life, we have to search for how we want to feel, rather than what we think we want. The book is in two parts, which help you first identify what makes you feel happy, and then helps you to work on achieving your goals based on those feelings. I found it particularly interesting as I'm guilty of thinking that there are certain life goals I should be chasing, instead of focusing on how I want to feel, which has led me to seeking entirely different things. 

I went to the cinema to see the film several years ago, before I ever read the book. While I enjoyed it, it seemed a little idealistic and didn't leave me feeling inspired to go after what I want. For my birthday last year, my bestie bought me this book and encouraged me to read it, to try and help me get out of a slump of low mood I was going through at the time. I have to say, the book is a million times more powerful than the film, and even though I still don't feel brave enough to do what Liz did and pack up my life to 'find myself' through travelling solo in Italy, India and Indonesia - it made me feel that I can make small changes to my life to empower myself, and left me feeling a lot more positive.

Another birthday present from my bestie (thanks Jen) this book is much simpler, but really handy to have around when you're in need of some quick inspiration. You could either read a quote a day for every day of the year, or read them all in one go like I did. I highlighted my favourites, and refer back to them whenever I want some motivation. I'm a huge fan of motivational quotes anyway, so it's great to have plenty at my fingertips.


Have you read any of these books?
If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear about them!




SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I love 'eat, pray, love'... I also saw the movie first and felt the same, but my mum encouraged be to read the book with her. As always the book was so much better! I really would like to do something like that one day...

    Lovely post by the way!
    Chantell
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I would do! It would be so amazing! I enjoyed the film but nowhere near as much as the book, I want to read her newest book now!

      Lucy x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig