Sunday, 11 September 2016

Recent Reads

Now that Autumn is slowly creeping in (though I'm still clinging to the last of the summer and refraining from ordering Pumpkin Spice lattes just yet!) I'm really enjoying going to bed earlier and getting lost in a good book, which is something I just haven't seemed to have time for for the last couple of months. 
I've just got back from holiday, which was beautifully relaxing and gave me time to race through these two books:

This book is beautifully written, yet inexpressibly heartbreaking; it's been sitting on my 'to-read' pile for a while, and as soon as I opened it I wondered why I hadn't sooner. It's the story of Dr Alice Howland, a professor of psychology at Harvard who develops early onset Alzheimer's just after her 50th birthday. As a highly stressed and intelligent career woman the beginnings of her illness are masked by how busy she is and are just considered to be general forgetfulness, but after her diagnosis her life changes completely, and though everyday life becomes a struggle for her and her family, she is 'still Alice' I read this with a lump in my throat, it's compelling yet so sad. I just couldn't put it down.

Again, this book has been hanging around on my Kindle for over a year, waiting for me to start it. It's written in a similar vein to 'Eat, Pray, Love' in that it's about a woman's journey to find herself following the break down of her relationship. Cheryl Strayed lost her mother 4 years previously, and from that point on her life had hit rock bottom; she'd dropped out of college, lost touch with her family and divorced her husband while lost in a cycle of self-destruction. The 1000+ miles hike from California to Oregon is about her breaking out of her comfort zone and taking on a challenge that at times seems impossible. I haven't seen the film version but I genuinely enjoyed the book, despite all the criticism the author has had for her portrayal of the experience; I found myself totally lost in the journey, and just wish I had the guts to do something like that!

Have you read either of these books?
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I've not read either of these but I've been debating picking up 'Wild' for a while

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig