Monday, 3 October 2016

Cornwall - My Favourite Places To Eat

If you follow me on Instagram (@Yellowicing if you want to), you'll have noticed that a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to spend a lovely week in beautiful Cornwall. 
I adore Cornwall, while I love travelling abroad and exploring new places, I'm also partial to a staycation and I really can't fault it - especially as it's so far away for me that it almost could be abroad!

Cornwall is host to so many beaches and quaint little villages, but for me personally it also has some of the best places to eat I've ever been to; some of these eateries I'm going to mention are places I'm a return visitor to, even if years apart - which says it all really.

This luxury boutique hotel is situated in the beautiful St Mawes, which just so happens to be one of my absolute favourite places to visit in Cornwall. We first came across The Idle Rocks when we popped in for a few beers while relaxing in the sun on our holiday two years ago. The outdoor terrace area boasts comfortable seating and a panoramic view of the bay, so it's absolutely idyllic and perfect for whiling away a few hours. We were so taken by the place that we returned a few evenings later for a meal, and the food was just as delicious as we expected. It was on this night that I first sampled their ginger and lychee martini whilst watching the sunset, which was the start of a love affair for me! Now one of my favourite cocktails (and I love me a cocktail) and something I was eagerly anticipating when we came back last month. Needless to say it was just as lovely as I remembered, and the beautiful nautical inspired interior of the hotel and bar is a thing of dreams.


We alway stay in Porthscatho, which is situated in the Roseland Peninsula and is a truly beautiful part of Cornwall. Whilst we were setting off on a coastal walk, we decided to make a quick pitstop to the Thirstea Co. van that we had heard good things about, and we definitely weren't disappointed. This tiny little cafe is operated from a vintage French Citroen van called Earl, and the beauty is in the simplicity. All the products are locally sourced and delicious; we shared a sausage roll and then had a yummy brownie and lemon drizzle cake washed down with a cup of Smugglers Brew, which in my opinion is the best tea in the world (and I've drunk a lot of tea) and it was truly lovely, especially eaten in the quiet little courtyard with polka dot tablecloths. We enjoyed it so much we even came back at the end of our walk for more!


The Royal Standard in Gerrans is just down the road from where we always stay, and somewhere we look forward to returning time and time again. This is a traditional Cornish pub complete with open fire and pub dog, and a menu filled with so many delicious options you're literally spoilt for choice. We always go for the smoked mackerel with new potatoes, which has to be tasted to be believed, Ordinarily if I saw that on a pub menu I'd probably bypass it, but once I'd tried it I knew I could never order anything else off the menu. My mouth is watering as I type this just thinking about it!


This stunning boutique hotel is right on the waters edge in the pretty little village of Portloe, and the view from the dining room is incredible, with cliffs and sea surrounding the hotel. This was the first time we'd visited, and the nautical themed decor was right up my street. We had a delicious lunch overlooking the bay, and as the weather was particularly windswept it made the view even more stunning in a way. As Portloe is such a small village, I'm sure a stay at the Lugger would feel like a cosy little hideaway from the real world, I can dream!


This place is truly stunning, in fact I'm not sure even the word could do it justice. Tatams is a small cafe situated on the slipway in Portscatho with a view to die for, the seaview stretches for miles around and sitting there almost feels like you're near an infinity pool as you can almost not tell where the sea begins and ends. This place is achingly cool, with painted white beams, artisan coffees, fairtrade hot chocolates and homemade cakes, including a range of gluten free. I had a white hot chocolate that genuinely tasted like melted chocolate, and a chocolate orange flapjack, which despite the potential sugar overload was far too delicious to be sickly. We came back on our last day just to savour the view one last time and the portuguese custard tart which was incredible.


It was an exciting evening for us the night the Slice Pizza mobile company drove into our camp site and tantalised us with their freshly cooked wood fired pizzas. I opted for Florence because I'm a sucker for anything containing goats cheese, and this certainly satisfied my craving; it was delicious (and really cheesy) with a lovely crisp crust. I took the liberty of sampling everyone else's and I can vouch for the fact they were all equally as yummy. 


Last but not least, we ventured out for a day trip to Falmouth and popped to the Harbour View for a relaxed leisurely lunch. It had been quite a showery day, but in the break from the rain we decided to dine alfresco and ordered the fresh sardines washed down with Pimms. Good choice! The food was delicious, and tasted incredibly fresh; plus the atmosphere was friendly and informal. Definitely a must if visiting Falmouth.




Have you ever dined at any of these places?
If you have any other recommendations I'd love to hear them :)

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig