Saturday, 22 October 2016

Take Flight

It was my birthday earlier this week, and as an early present a couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to be bought a flying lesson. This was actually my third lesson; having badgered my Mum since I was a teenager to let me have one because my older brother had - being a bit of a daredevil I finally took to the skies for the first time about 5 years ago, and loved every minute of it.

This lesson was no exception; I was blessed with glorious weather and completely cloudless skies made for unobstructed views across the mountains and water. Because this was my third time, I was actually considered fairly experienced in terms of flying, so my tutor let me take control throughout, including taxiing down the runway, taking off and landing unassisted!

Being in the cockpit makes me feel alive, and flying is such a surreal experience when you break it down. On a large plane you're barely aware of your surroundings, but when you're in a small light aircraft you realise how fragile they are, but also how that feeling of vulnerability is actually quite liberating! It felt at one point like we were merely floating through the air and barely moving, until the pilot told me we were travelling at over 120mph...puts things into perspective.

The feeling of freedom is also something else, apart from the occasional crackle of controls it's almost completely silent up there, which makes it easy to forget the real world as you're floating on the wind.

As I did so much of the flying myself, I only had time to snap one cheeky photo from the air - which is the beach near to where I live, we also flew over my house before doing a loop and heading back.

It was over far too quickly, bring on the next one -  I may well be getting my pilots licence next!   
All photos taken from the ground by Ben Walker Photography
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. WOW! This is honestly the coolest thing ever! What an amazing thing to do! God I couldn't do that! Well done! You should be so proud!
    Fix Me In Forty Five - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog
    Blog Lovin' // Instagram
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Stacey! It was incredible, I guess I do feel kinda proud of myself :)

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. Wow! What an amazing and unusual present!

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Rosy, it was so cool!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Hope you had a wonderful birthday babe!

    This looks like so much fun, I've never been a fan of flying but really envy people that have no fear of it! I would love to just get in a plane & takeoff somewhere xx

    www.hello-cat.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cat! Aww, tons of people don't like flying, I thought I'd hate it but I didn't at all!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  4. This sounds like such a cool unique experience! xx
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fab Cara, so memorable!

      Lucy x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig