Tuesday, 2 August 2016

A Weekend In Snowdonia

Credit: Ben Walker Photography
If you're a regular reader of this blog, or follow me on Snapchat (Lucy Yellowicing btw...) you'll have seen that I went on a 2 night staycation last month, right into the mountains of Snowdonia.
The break was absolutely amazing, it was honestly SO relaxing and perfect for unwinding.

We went on the Sunday, and with the car packed and Daisy in tow, off we went. We stayed at a lovely little hotel called The Saracens Head that we found on Travelzoo, most of the appeal was how laid back it looked - as well as being super dog friendly - which was exactly what we wanted for a weekend of hiking and exploring.
The weather didn't quite play ball, it rained torrentially for the entire first day, so after a quick wander around the quaint little village of Beddgelert and a drink in the hotel bar, we went up to our room for a chill. While B caught up on some editing, it seemed the perfect time for me to use up my last Unicorn Horn and head for a long bubbly soak in the bath with my Kindle. 

That evening we had a quiet dinner in the hotel (our first night dinner came included in our package) as we planned to have an early start in the morning for a full day of walking. 
We had a leisurely morning stroll, with a walk along the Glaslyn River  to see Gelert's Grave (there's a Welsh medieval legend about the Prince of Wales' faithful dog Gelert, who was mistakenly killed by the Prince as he believed he had attacked his baby son, when in fact he had slain a wolf in order to protect him, and the Prince, overcome with grief, buried the dog here) and then decided to head into the mountains.

Credit: Ben Walker Photography
We walked up Moel Hebog, which is supposedly a fairly gentle climb if you stick to the path, but we went a totally different way and ended up doing a rough scramble which took us nearly 4 hours! After trekking through forests, stagnant rivers and jumping over a waterfall we reached the summit and ate our lunch, before finding the correct path down and descending in a respectable 90 mins.

When we reached the bottom we had a well earned drink in the sun, and then went out for dinner to a little bistro called Hebog. We had a lovely meal, with a starter of goat's cheese and mango sorbet (cleverly made to look like boiled eggs) and then B had the burger and I had pasta with halloumi. 
Full to the brim we headed back to the hotel for the rest of the night, where I soothed my aching muscles with another bubble bath, I could have got used to that!

Sadly the next morning it was time to check out, so we headed off home with a pitstop on the way at a Copper Mine, check out that panoramic view!


No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!
I read and appreciate each and every one :)
Feel free to tweet me @yellowicingblog - I'm trying to get better with Twitter!
Thank you!
Lucy x

© YellowIcing. All rights reserved.